mountain

mountain

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Backpacks: who needs a backpack when you can wear a vest?

Notice the umbrella? Read why you should pack one.
This is my friend Winston. Former marine, grew up in my hometown, a good ol' caving and creating-mayhem-buddy of mine (the fun and safe kind of mayhem of course). In 2008-2009 he embarked on "A 5,000-mile walk through Southeast Asia in an effort to raise funds for facial-reconstructive surgeries in the developing world." He named this journey the "Smile Trek" and was able to raise $79,230 for his cause.

He began his trek wearing a large backpack, as most people would think to do, to carry his tent, food, water, rain gear, sleeping bag, and other essential items.

However, he abandoned the backpack and traded it in for a VTAC LBE tactical vest that could be customized to suit his needs.

As Winston writes,
"While walking across Spain, I became displeased with my backpack. It threw off my balance, made my shoulders sore, and proved not to be the most accessible packing solution. So I began brainstorming an alternative. I remembered the load-bearing vests we were issued in the Marines and decided to apply it to trekking. The vest I use today has undergone several iterations, as I have improved it over the years. I prefer using a vest over a backpack because it is more ergonomic, distributes the weight more evenly, and allows me to access stored items without interrupting the walk."

While I haven't tried this sort of vest set-up myself I admire and appreciate the ingenuity behind it. When Winston was putting it all together he called me over to check out this set-up first hand as I was his personal "survival and gear adviser", as he put it. I was impressed. He made a point of every gear item being lightweight and packs up small. This is a great fast and light set-up! It makes a lot of sense and here's what I like about it.

1) It balances and distributes weight fairly evenly (front to back, so you don't have to lean forward as if you were wearing a backpack).

2) It allows for the user to attach small pockets, via the "molle system", on the front of the vest for easy access while on the move. Something that backpacks don't have.

3) The vest allows for easy personal customization of what goes where on the front or back.

4) It can be a great fast and light system.

5) The vest system passed the test on Winston's 540-mile South American trek.

So do you think you'll give it a try? Let me know what you think in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? boys dinosaur backpack

    ReplyDelete